Photobucket Enjoy Every Sandwich



Sunday, August 31, 2003


SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERRIFF

God, I love reading the news. It's so full of stuff I don't know, like this. For those of you who read my post first then click the links later, the headline reads "Cops find murder hard to prevent."

This article is downright fascinating. There is much within it to explore, which I will. Point by point. And I'll be funny, too. Cops are famously unfunny. Ask Rodney King.

-"Cops know a fair amount about preventing most kinds of crime. The appearance of a squad car can scatter street-level drug dealers. Computer programs spot crime patterns. Lighting, alarm systems and Neighborhood Watch programs can cut burglaries."

Cool, cops knowing a "fair bit" about preventing crime is comforting to hear. It is, after all their job. Cashiers know a "fair bit" about cash registers, too. I understand that prostitutes know a "fair bit" about blowjobs as well.

"Murder is another story." Uh-oh. That doesn't sound good.

-"Atlanta homicides are up 23 percent so far this year, compared with the same period last year, a Police Department spokesman said.

Cutting those numbers isn't simple, in part because most homicide victims knew their killer."

Yes, killing strangers is rude. It's always nice that, if you absolutely MUST take a human life, that you have a pretty darn good reason for doing it. Otherwise, you'll be viewed as "creepy". I can't tell you how hard it is to get laid when viewed this way.

-"What are police -- or anybody else -- supposed to do about the urge to kill?"

I dunno, stop it? Like you did with the "urge" to steal cars or break into houses. I'm so helpful.

-"It is that 30 seconds of rage, it is that uncontrollable anger," said University of Georgia sociology professor Dean Rojek, who has studied 30 years of Atlanta homicide reports. Often, he said, the rage "is fueled by alcohol, cocaine. . . . It's touching what we call that raw nerve. So there are layers to homicide that you don't have in many more offenses."

Angry people get violent? Wow! And are you trying to tell me that angry drunks on cocaine are especially violent? Thank God for sociology! Without Professor Rojeck spending 30 YEARS on this, I never would've known. I told you the news is full of cool stuff!

-"More than three-quarters of murder victims knew their attackers, according to 2001 FBI figures for cases in which the relationship of victim and attacker were known. A study of 10 years of DeKalb County homicides found an almost identical proportion.

DeKalb District Attorney J. Tom Morgan said he is frustrated with just prosecuting murderers after the crime, but doesn't see public support for paying to implement the sweeping conclusions of his report, issued in June. "Crime prevention begins with the infant and must continue all the way through adolescence," the report said.

Poor children, abused or neglected children, children who fall behind in school are most likely to be tomorrow's defendants, he wrote."

There's a lot here to have fun with. I'll try to succinct. I'm so considerate.

Don't get me wrong, I can sympatize. I'd be frustrated with prosecuting crimes after they occur, too. Let's start with prosecuting them BEFORE they occur. It sounds sensible. And if the problem starts with children, let's lock the little bastards up NOW! Stop them before they kill the first time.

And I never would've known that fucked up murdering swine had bad childhoods. Again, thank God there are professionals who spend decades studying such things.

-"Rojek said even in Atlanta and other cities with higher murder rates, people who live in neighborhoods far from poverty are at very low risk."

Yeah? I bet Nicole Brown Simpson and Bonnie Lee Blakey would beg to differ.

-""Alcohol is by far the most dangerous substance we have in America. . . . It greases the skids for a lot of things you normally wouldn't do," he said.

The message should be, "Lock up that gun, think twice when you reach for that second can of beer."

I beg to differ that alcohol is more dangerous than knives of guns. In fact alcohol is what keeps me from killing most of you. I get very uncoordinated when I'm hammered.

And "that second can of beer"? I drink a case a day and I've never killed anyone. If all it takes is two beers then most killers are pussies! Fuck them. I'll bet the drink light beer, too.

- "The relatively new science of computerized crime analysis offers some guidance on how to spot potentially lethal domestic problems. Women who have been choked previously and those who had confronted their abuser with their plan to move out are more likely to die, according to sociologist Carolyn Rebecca Block. She oversees the "Chicago Homicide Dataset," a huge database of information on more than 35 years' worth of murders in Chicago."

I can see why it would take a fucking Cray supercomputer to figure out that if your husband chokes you that no good can come of it. Where would we be without academia and technology?

-"Block said a great deal of detail is necessary to predict and prevent other kinds of murder. For instance, the Chicago data on robberies near transit stops that end in homicides found they happened 1 1/2 blocks from the stop -- just far enough to be out of sight of those waiting at the stop. Knowing this gives police better information to plan surveillance, she said."

People don't kill people in front of a big crowd of witnesses? This IS significant data!

-"Spreading that attitude -- and the awareness of the dangers of guns and alcohol as Rojek advocates -- might cut the biggest category of murders"

If you plan on outlawing guns and alcohol you may as well outlaw everything south of Delaware. The South must not be allowed to rise again. For the children, Goddammit!

And finally, as most empty-headed articles must, we end with this helpful advice:

-"Society is going to have to face up to the time and money it takes to do that, Morgan said. And if that sounds like turning George Orwell's "Big Brother" into Big Parent, so be it, he said.

"Big Brother should be raising some of these children," he said. "I've been here [as a prosecutor] 22 years, and I'm telling you there are many children who would be better off -- and alive -- if they were taken out of the environment in which they were born."

We can't stop all the mayhem with all of the fucking freedom getting in the way! When will you people learn?












3:05 PM