|
|
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
|
|
REQUIEM FOR A HEAVYWEIGHT
I was shocked and saddened to learn of the passing of Rob Smith, the author of Gut Rumbles yesterday. Mr. Smith was 54 years old.
When I started doing this, I read a number of different blogs to check on style and whatnot. I still find it hard to believe just how many truly gifted writers there are out there. A number of them are linked to the right. You really should check them out instead of reading my pointless drivel. One of the very best sites out there is Gut Rumbles.
I first became aware of Mr. Smith during the fallout of a world-class shitstorm that he caused. As it happens, he used the "N-word" 11 times in one post. The mass de-linkings commenced almost immediately. The use of the word was gratuitous, yes, but the writing was just too compelling to ignore. As virtually everyone in the world was de-linking Rob, I added him to my blogroll.
One of the earliest decisions I made when I started doing this was that I wasn't going to go out of my way to be known. This blog was going to be discovered on its own merits or not at all. I probably would have had a much bigger audience if I networked, but I'm pretty happy the way it worked out. But I always did want Mr. Smith to read my dopey little musings.
Over the past three years, I've been linked to some pretty big websites. Sure, I was flattered that people seemed to think that I had something unique to say, but I knew that those kind of links are fleeting. The format of this blog has more than enough to offend and annoy everyone. I designed it that way. I like going from technical political analysis one day to my thoughts on a particular porn star the next. But you don't become one of the super-bloggers that way. If you want to be huge and get linked a lot, look at what I do and do the exact opposite.
It was when I wrote this post, that I found that I was getting hits from Gut Rumbles. I checked out Rob's place and found this.
Here is a POST FROM A VERY SICK MAN. Poor bastard. He reminds me of ME. Of all of the links I've gotten from other bloggers, that one stilll means the most to me. Being told that I reminded Acidman of himself was all the validation I'll ever need. Getting those words from Rob was like Christmas morning for me. Over a year later, it still is.
Rob Smith was perhaps the most fearlessly honest man in the history of the Internet. There was nothing that he wouldn't talk about. God knows, it cost him more than almost anyone else would risk, but that's why his readers loved him so much. His blog cost him job and was used against him in divorce court. Regardless of the fallout he faced, Rob never walked away from a good story, and you knew in no uncertain terms what he thought. You have to admire that. I know that I do.
Whether you loved him or hated him, no one was apathetic about Rob Smith. He forced a reaction out of his readers, and that's what every writer wants to do. Rob did it every day. I always thought that he had a great book in him. Unfortunately, that's a book we'll never get to read.
I know that he never thought of himself this way, but Rob Smith was the tallest of the tall dogs. His was a unique voice and I'll miss hearing it every day.
Rob's family and friends are in my thoughts. They ask that you make a donation to the American Diabetes Association. That's a small thing to ask in light of the years of reading pleasure Mr. Smith gave us all.
Easy Listening Recommendation of the Day: Knocking on Heaven's Door By: Warren Zevon From: The Wind
PermalinkLabels: Life With skippy
|
|
|
| |