Photobucket Enjoy Every Sandwich



Friday, September 22, 2006


LET'S GET KINKY: WHEREIN skippy THROWS HIS CONSIDERABLE ELECTORAL SUPPORT BEHIND THE ASSHOLE FROM EL PASO

Like most Canadians, I have a considerable following inTexas. This despite some less than charitable things that I've said about the Lone Star State. Those folks worship me as something like a god. You can therefore infer from this that there are several things that are desperately, horribly wrong with Texas.

So I figured that I'd use my influence for the greater good and pick a new governor for those good folks. When left to their own devices, Texans tend to elect John Connally, George W. Bush and Rick Perry. After the long list of either inept or criminal ghouls the people of Texas have chosen to govern them, it seems that they could use my help. I shall modestly endeavor to save them all. Because that's just the way I roll, dig?

In a perfect world, Clayton Williams would be running to avenge his humiliation at the hands of the recently departed Ann Richards in 1990. And people need to be reminded that "rape is a lot like bad weather, as long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it ." And that's just how he opened his campaign. He ended it by admitting that he had paid no taxes whatsoever the previous year.

As you all know, nothing is quite as successful as a good old-fashioned "law and order" campaign. And people really do need to feel loved in a way that only minimizing the seriousness of rape and pointing out the advantages of tax evasion can achieve. The people of Texas were pretty humourless - to say nothing of being uninterested in education - back in the dark days of 1990. They just couldn't handle someone who kept it as real as the distinguished Mr. Williams. But I suspect that twelve years of George W. Bush and Rick Perry have changed all of that.

Where have you gone, Clayton Williams? The Lone Star state turns it's lonely eyes to you, indeed!

But since Mr. Williams is selfishly refusing to be the messiah Texas so desperately needs, I am formally endorsing Kinky Friedman to be the next governor. My primary reason is simple. Kinky wrote "They Ain't Making Jews Like Jesus Anymore" and I'm not convinced that Governor Perry can write his own name without having someone on the state payroll to check his spelling.

Friedman is personal friends with Bob Dylan, and Dylan famously doesn't like anyone all that much. The great Willie Nelson donated his time to get Kinky on the ballot between tours and marijuanna arrests. And one of my personal heroes, Mojo Nixon, has come out of "un-retirement" to help elect the Asshole from El Paso. If any of you doubt the wisdom of Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson and Mojo Nixon, then you're simply not someone I'm willing to call "friend."
After all, Willie wrote the greatest song ever - "Crazy" as hauntingly recorded by Patsy Cline - and Dylan and Mojo wrote everything else that can be described as "great" or even "good."

Governor Perry, on the other hand, is one of the very few people left in America who will still take Karl Rove's phone calls. And the Democrats are virtually not a factor at all in this race. Their nominee, Chris Bell, is behind Kinky both in the polls and in fundraising. Can you imagine raising less money for a big-time political race than someone named "Kinky?" The Democrats might actually have a better chance of winning statewide if they nominated someone from the sex offender registry. Charles Whitman might have endorsed the Democrats, were he alive, but no one else is. They seem to have similiar social policies and share roughly the same level esteem from their fellow Texans.

But I don't just like Kinky because he isn't the other people in this race. I like him because he isn't afraid at looking at decades of American policy and crying bullshit. Or at least that was the case until a couple of weeks ago.

As a case study in this, I give you illegal immigration. There are few issues as majestically riddled with horseshit in American politics today as illegal immigration. The current policy of the American government and the overwhelming majority of the mouth-breathing, mongoloid voters who who support it punishes poor Mexicans - who want nothing more than a better life for themselves and their families - for giving American business exactly what it wants. That being cheap labor.

Here's how it works. The Mexican economy, well, sucks. The American economy is famous for the reverse. There are any number of jobs out there that average American won't take. The average American won't take those jobs because they happen to be shitty. They are shitty because they don't pay very much, and they don't pay very much because several states have "right to work" laws that essentially criminalize unions - even the very few honest ones out there - and allow employers to fire workers who mutter under their breath about their low pay and shitty working conditions. The irony of this is that these laws were passed in states that are populated by people who have shitty jobs that they can't complain about, lest they get fired.

And guess what? When welfare pays more than a shitty job does, people will go on welfare. And you know what else? A vaccum does not remain unfilled for long. Someone will take those jobs. That's how a capitalist society is supposed to work. Go figure.

The problem is that the shitty jobs - and the soulless employers who offer them - still exist. And most of the world's poor, who don't have basic cable, are more than willing to take them. And the aforementioned soulless employers can take advantage of said foreigners by paying them even less than the American poor by virtue of them being in the country illegally to take jobs that Americans won't.

So, of fucking course it's Mexico's fault! Jesus, it isn't like you can arrest the Hilton family or everyone in Orange County, California. After all, they're rich, white and contribute heavily to politicians. You couldn't possiby punish employers, because that would hurt the economy. An economy, I needn't remind you, that actually encourages illegal immigration.

I refer to the above as "supply-side law enforcement." Loosely translated, it means that if you're too fat, stupid and lazy to actually punish the people who demand something, you go after the dirt-fucking-poor people who have little other option but provide it. You ever notice how well this has worked on the War on Drugs?

The greatest joy in my life of late has been watching this debate occur in the unlikliest of places. The illegal immigration issue might actually save the career of Senator Rick Santorum .... in Pennsylvania! Yes, the people of western New York, southern New Jersey, Maryland, and Ohio generally are pretty scary, but not "let's build a giant fucking wall" scary.

At one point, Friedman - who, after all, is a Texan and therefore has a real-life reason to be concerned about illegal immigration - had an interesting idea to curb illegal immigration. It went as follows;

The Five Mexican Generals plan: Under Friedman's plan, the border with Mexico would be divided into five sections with one Mexican general responsible for each section. A $1 million trust fund would be created and held in a bank for each general. "When I talk about the five Mexican generals, people think I'm joking but I'm dead serious," said Friedman. "I will divide the border into five jurisdictions, assigning one Mexican general to each and providing a trust fund for that general. Every time a person crosses illegally, we subtract $5,000 from the trust fund." Friedman's plan is intended not only to save money, but to place the responsibility of securing the border on the Mexican government rather than the U.S. government - by giving Mexican military leaders a monetary incentive.

That's a really interesting idea. So it follows that, under political pressure, Kinky was forced to withdraw it and support the state of Texas' usuriping the United States Constitution by pledging to spend state funds to "protect" an international border. While this saddens me, it doesn't sadden me as much as everybody else in Texas, so I'm still behind Friedman.

I'm also somewhat disappointed in Kinky's drug platform. You would think that someone named "Kinky" would offer something truly revolutionsaary in this field. Instead, he equivocates.


Independent gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman called Wednesday for the decriminalization of marijuana to avoid further clogging state prisons with nonviolent offenders.

He also said he would favor a review of people already imprisoned on marijuana charges to "rehab them, try to get them back into society."

That, I'd say, is a pretty good start. Unless of course you'd prefer your prisons populated with potheads rather than pedophiles. Remember that, try as you might to change it, prison space is finite and crime is not. It's who you punish that really defines you as a people. Or maybe it's just me.


Friedman said he doesn't yet have specifics on how decriminalization would work, including what amount of marijuana a person could possess without being charged. He did say that he doesn't favor making marijuana legally available for purchase.

"I'm not talking about like Amsterdam," he said.

Okay, why not? If you believe that something shouldn't be illegal, why shouldn't it be legal to buy and sell? And if it isn't, aren't you still encouraging a criminal element - and all of its attendant violence and anarchy - through a simple "decrimilization" regime? Even if you have touchy-feely law enforcement, capitalism will still be in play, won't it? Therefore, the underlying social problems of the Drug War will still be there.


"I agree with (U.S. Sen.) John McCain that we've lost the drug war," Friedman said. "Drugs are more available, they're cheaper.

"It's clear to me, if you've lost the war on drugs then you've got to go some other direction. You can't keep banging your head against the wall."
This begs an exploration of what "losing a war" actually means. When the United States surrendered in Vietnam, it didn't mean that the Vietnamese embraced a Swedish form for socialism, they became reactionary commies. And the Marines weren't replaced with a Jeff Spicoli-style sufer team, they were forcibly expelled from the country. I vaguely remember something about an embassy roof and helicopters. Losing the Drug War means exactly what it implies. And it shouldn't stop with pot.

Unfortunately, Kinky takes this opportunity to descend further into nonsense.

Friedman's comments on marijuana came one week after he created a controversy in Houston when he said the musicians and artists who fled Hurricane Katrina had returned to New Orleans, but the "crackheads and thugs" remained. He later added that many evacuees who remain in Houston are good citizens.

The candidate said Wednesday that crack "is a different deal" from marijuana.

"Marijuana is a very different situation. It's not like crack and (other) drugs that create violence," he said.
I seriously hope that someday that statues will be erected in memory of the ignorance of statements like that. If there's a drug around that "creates violence," that would be alcohol, and it created a whole lot of violence when it was illegal. Perhaps you heard of the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution that made the Mafia what it is today.

I really didn't want to get too down on Kinky as I endorse him. Honest, I didn't. Yeah, I'm disappointed, but I do understand that he's running in Texas - the Land That Common Sense Forgot. There are certain political realities that need to be observed in life, even if those realities happen to be retarded. Indeed, it is the total understanding, yea, the embrace, of those realities that makes me the most cynical motherfucker on Al Gore's Interwebs alive today

But I learned as an infant that only a fool holds the good as the enemy of the perfect. But I think that if someone like Kinky Friedman can do well in a place like Texas, it might really say something to Washington and the political class. I know that Rick Perry is going to be re-elected. That fact is inescapable. I'd like to believe otherwise, but I'd also like to beleve in other in other nonsense like unicorns, god and love.

If Kinky Friedman comes in a strong second, and raises a true-hell shitload of money, it might send a strong messsage to the rest of country that silly-time is over. But that won't happen, and I couldn't give a shit.

Frankly, I'm too old and too tired to fight much anymore. We're all doomed. There's nothing at all that Kinky Friedman, Bob Dylan, Mojo Nixon, Willie Nelson, Jesus, or I can do about it. If people like us will never convince our fellow citizens of a fucking thing, why bother trying at all?

And I think that I'm finally comfortable enough with that fact to enjoy the ride. Which brings me back to Clayton Williams - life really is like bad weather and rape.

Easy Listening Recommendation of the Day: Asshole From El Paso By: Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys From: Old Testaments and New Revelations

Permalink



Labels: ,

5:39 AM