|
|
Wednesday, September 03, 2003
|
|
"AND THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS"
It's been slightly over an hour since Paul Hill sucked the pipe and found out if he died for a fantasy. Personally, I think it would be the height of irony if he did. Imagine doing something "on God's order" that lead to your execution to find that, upon your death, that there is no God. That would be beautiful for a scumbag like Hill.
Some of my more liberal readers face a delimma here. While I dance the fucking Lambada (albeit alone) at the reality of Paul Hill's death, you are conflicted. As some of you may know, I'm both pro-abortion and pro-death penalty (Note that I didn't say "choice", several women who undergo abortions have no real "choice".) I love them both, dearly. I firmly believe that there are things that people must die for such as murder....or having an inconvienent due date. I hold human life at an absolute minimum. Is this a deplorable view? Arguably, it is. But I can live with it.
But my view is at least an honest one. I feel most life is worthless and should be snuffed out, starting with my own. Hill, on the other hand, held life so PRECIOUS, that he MURDERED two people and wounded a third. Hill's position begs the intellectualy probing question of "What the fuck? I mean, what the fucking fuck?!?" To quote Dennis Miller on this very subject, to prevent abortion, Hill "ended two pregnancies in their 237th trimester."
I must give Hill credit for one thing, though. He did have the courage of his demented convictions. Throughout his trial, he held to his defense of justifiable homicide, and when that failed, took his sentance like a man. He could've appealed forever, citing such things as "insanity" (remember, God wanted him to do this) or inadequate counsel (who the fuck seriously thought that justifiable homicide would fly as a defense?)
Hill did none of these things. Remember, the murders only took place in 1994. I remember them clearly. Most executions that happen this week will be for crimes that took place in the early 1980's. But Hill has such demented faith in his own position and his own perverted beliefs that he stood his ground and took his punishment like a man. Christ, he was even ballsy enough to implore others to follow in his footsteps AS he was strapped to the gurney and the needle was in his arm.
As repugnant as I find everything that Paul Hill stood for, I have to respect the way he died. He proved that if nothing else, he believed his own horsehit. There's a lot to said for that. Can you see Pat Robertson take that attitude on the gurney he was certain in the knowledge that he was about to die upon?
I didn't think so.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still thrilled the motherfucker is dead.
|
|
|
| |