Photobucket Enjoy Every Sandwich



Tuesday, September 09, 2003


CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS MAKES ME SMILE

As my regular readers will notice, I avoided the Judge Roy Moore controversy like the fucking plauge.Mostly because everyone else in the universe was writing about it. The best of example of which was written by Fanged Buffalo over at Chaos in Motion.

I'm so original.

You'll remember that Moore was the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court who decided to "decorate" the courthouse with a 5,000 pound monument of the Ten Commandments. Judge Moore could be described as a biblical literalist. This, of course, begs the question of why his monument didn't inscribe the Ten Commandments in their original Hebrew. I'll bet it had something to do with the presence of Hebrew being some kind of admission that Moses and, by extension, God were Jewish.

I think we can all imagine how well the good folks of Montgomery would react to a crazy idea like that.

Another reason I refrained from writing about the trevails of Judge Moore is that I found the whole thing boring. Sure, it aroused a minor giggle, particularly when he declared war on the Federal Court of Appeal. But my attitude has generally been that stupid people do dumb shit. Throw in God and funny accents and the results are predictable. Besides, I generally like southerners. My experiences with them have been nothing but positive, and so far as making fun of religious people with funny accents goes...I have Quebec for that.

Christopher Hitchens, however, isn't as discriminating as I am. But he is a far sight funnier and smarter than I am. So, he wrote about it. Hitchens, being smarter and funnier than I am, wrote about the issue from a different perspective than I would've though. He attacked the Ten Commandments themselves! He barely acknowledges Judge Moore's existance! It's beautiful.

Enjoy.

12:46 AM