|
|
Thursday, September 18, 2003
|
|
WE DON'T NEED NO EDUKASHUN
I should preface the following commentary by saying that I'm the only person I know who dropped out of both high school AND college. I'm fantastically uneducated. My stupidity knows no bounds as both my intellectual pursuits and my love life will testify to. Yet still I'm one to throw stones. Funny that.
Apparently, Mayor Richard Daley,Jr of Chicago recognized way back in 1995 that the public high school system is in crisis. After 8 long years of study, Daley determined the source of the problem. High school is boring. This is an original insight. I know people who went to high school in Chicago and "boring" is the last adjective that would be used to describe it. I've heard the Chicago school system as being like Vietnam with heavier artillery, but never have I heard it described as boring.
For years now, I assumed that children were just getting stupid, as if a reverse evolution was taking place. Now I know better. The entire bureaucracy is soft headed, from the Mayor on down.
At least we can count on teachers to be there for kids, right? Even if their underqualified, they can be counted on for their racial sensitivity, right? Wrong! I read that story and nearly fell off my chair laughing. A teacher referred to her black students as "Little Sambos?" Holy Fuck, what year is it there, 1936? Does this woman brush with "Darkie" toothpaste. I loved her excuse, too. She thought it was no different than Joe, Suzy or Sam. Now, I'm a fairly worldly cat....I've never met a Sambo and so far as I know, the name only carries one connotation. Just one.
Maybe the children are our future. And if they are, we're all fucking doomed!
|
|
|
| |