Photobucket Enjoy Every Sandwich



Thursday, October 02, 2003


THERE GOES THE WOMEN'S VOTE

I feel especially smart now. A couple of days ago I was on the phone with a friend of mine, discussing the California recall election (yeah, I'm soooo smooth with the ladies.)
My friend asked if I thought that Schwarzenegger would actually become Governor. I replied that I thought so and that, while I didn't buy the CNN/USA Today Gallup poll, the numbers seemed to trending that way.

I did, however, point out that Arnold has a reputedly tawdry past and that in the last ten days of a campaign virtual fucking cemeteries could fall out of his closet. I then briefly explained how Opposition Research works in a campaign. For the unitiated, Oppo Research is a position in most campaigns devoted exclusively to digging up dirt on other candiates. Usually, this is done by going through property records, tax information and divorce proceedings. Ordinarily, the nastiest secrets in someone's life are public record.

Lo and behold, this comes out. While the body of the article says that none of the women were "identified with other candidates" the timing is more than a little suspect. Remember during the 2000 campaign how the story of George Bush's DWI charge from the 70's came out on the Friday during the election? The documents were dug up by a Maine Democratic operative and with held until they could make a maximum impact. This is a highly professional skill. It should also be noted that Gray Davis has a well-deserved reputation for fighting dirty. That's the only way you can win when nobody actually likes you.

Although, the timing could've been better if it was Davis behind this. Dropping this story on day when former President Clinton is coming to campaign for you perhaps isn't wise. On the other hand, Clinton does seem to be the go to guy on sexual herassment. After all, he did pay $900,000 to make a lawsuit go away after it lead to his impeachment.

The part of the story that I found creepiest was his asking a woman if "a man had ever slid his tounge into her ass." Don't get me wrong, I've asked the same question myself. Some things are important to know. But let the record reflect that I've never asked that question at work! I've only ever asked that during phone sex, and even then I wait until the second or third call!

And they say chivalry is dead! Maybe I'm the last gentleman.

The funniest part is, I was going to write the conclusion to my California Recall Trilogy for Chaos in Motion last night. Thank Christ I was too busy drinking. Maybe now I'll just wait until Tuesday and they actually have the election before I write the wrap-up.

8:24 AM