|
|
Monday, December 01, 2003
|
|
I'M GETTING THIS FUNNY FEELING....
Not long ago, I wrote a fairly detailed post about the hows and whys of this blog. The reasons why I started it and the reason I kept it up, even when common sense should've told me to get the fuck out of Dodge. While losing a job you were pretty good at and reasonably well paid for as a consequence of writing things (though brilliantly funny) is a neat story, it's decidedly less than fun in actuality.
I also noted my deep appreciation for the kind words spoken by people that I'll never meet. Had you have told me ten years ago that people in over a dozen time zones would actively look for something I've written on a daily basis, Id've had you committed. Okay, Id've had you committed after I had violently thrashed you. I can't tell you what the positive opinions of so many talented writers means to me. Besides my readership here, the staffs at both (the yet again defunct) Terribly Wrong and Chaos in Motion have been incredibly supportive and encouraging.
But in the last few weeks I've developed the feeling that I'm starting to suck. The worst part is that I don't know if I suck yet or not. The ideas are coming a lot harder than they used to, which you've probably noticed by the decreasing number of posts lately. And when an idea does come I've felt that it hasn't been executed as well as it should've been. My hope has always been that you not necessarily agree with me- given my opinions on most things, I'd fear for society deeply if you did- but that you get a nice giggle out of my mindless ramblings. I never really expected a full laugh but several of you have told me that you've gotten those from this blog and I'm as mystified as I am grateful for that.
This should not be taken as an announcement that I'm discontinuing this page. I like writing it and I'm not sure I could just quit it even if I wanted too. But, if I'm getting the feeling that my writing is going down the toilet, I'm sure that some of you out there are getting that feeling as well. I guess that I'm just acknowlging that fact and attempting to explain it.
I never meant this to be a forum for my political or social views but more of a satirization of them. I could write endlessly about the U.S presidential campaign, the political chaos in Canada or just how fucked up the world is but I feel like I'm experiencing the law of diminishing returns there. There are wide swaths of my personal life that I still can't discuss here for various different reasons, ranging from the feelings of people starting new lives and (I'm not kidding) court orders...well, publication bans. There's much I could write about and much of it would be uproariously funny. But I can't do that without hurting the feelings of people I like, love or respect. Everyone is familiar with my employment situation so I can't really write about my old job in too much detail until I have another one.
Also, for the first time in almost a year, I think I might actually be happy. Trust me, I know how douchey that sounds but it also happens to be true. I always thought that what made me however funny I am was anger and I'm not particularly angry right now. Could I amend my writing style to the new realities in my life? Probably, but I'm not sure that I want to make this into "the wonderful world of skippy" because those realities are fairly new and the writing would very probably interest no more than 3 or 4 people.
This doesn't leave me much except random links to newspaper articles and.....Michael Jackson. Hopefully, O.J will do something crazy again soon. I'm not even sure why I'm writing this other than to explain what I see as a major slip in quality here and some extended lapses in posting. I feel like I owe you teenagers at least that. On the other hand, maybe I don't. Who knows? I also recognize that I've written about dry spells before and bounced right back and maybe that will happen this time. I'm just not sure that it will and if it doesn't, I suppose I want you to know why.
Anyhow, if anyone has any ideas you can leave a comment or something.
|
|
|
| |