|
|
Friday, March 12, 2004
|
|
I'M AMAZED SHE COULD GET FUCKED IN THE FIRST PLACE
There appears to be much to detest about Melissa Ann Rowland. For those still unaware, Miss Rowland was the expectant mother of twins. Like any good mother she sought out pre-natal care when she couldn't feel the fetuses move. Doctors told Rowland that without a cesarean section, one of both chikdren would be stillborn. Rowland refused the procedure on cosmetic grounds.
I know this sounds shallow, but Christ, look at this woman's picture again. If ever there was a case of unwarranted vanity, this is it. Of course, I can say this because I'm sooooooooo good lookin'. This woman is to modeling what William Hung is to dancing.
But the over-reaction of the Salt Lake City District Attorney's office is equally disturbing. While I can't argue that her indifference isn't depraved, second-degree murder charges are overblown and should be thrown out as soon as humanly possible. It is perfectly acceptable that society should want their pound of flesh from Miss Rowland, and it appears that she can certainly can spare it, the legal system is not the forum to extract it.
I doubt this even has this has much to do with Rowland herself. This is one of those cases where most people can agree that the accused is human garbage. Such cases are easy pickings for people with political agendas. In this instance, the agenda is the "rights of the unborn." Here's how the logic follows, once you can hold a mother responsible for the welfare of her unborn child, you can engineer her conduct accordingly. She can be prevented from drinking or smoking (which she should anyway) or be legally forced to follow recommended diets. Reasonable people can disagree as to whether or not this is positive or not.
However, once you establish fetal rights in the law, that puts abortion itself in jeopardy. Pro-life groups realized years ago that they would never prevail openly in the court of public opinion, so they increasingly find cases like this to get on through the back door. If no one defends Rowland, the forces against choice win a very important victory. I'm sure that there are several women generally, and mothers specifically, who saw the title of this post and got upset. I'm sure several others will feel my making fun of her appearance is a cheap shot. And they'd be right.
I may be defending the indefensible here. I tend to do that sometimes. But people should keep in mind what the real agenda at work here is.
And on that happy note, I'm brutally sick and need to go lie down some more.
|
|
|
| |