Photobucket Enjoy Every Sandwich



Monday, March 22, 2004


IS JESUS A PUSSY?

Its always noteworthy when the great theological questions of the day originate from Australia. I always thought that they just built shrines to the googly-eyed lead singer of Men At Work.

Yet again, I was wrong. I'm really starting to hate the frequency with which that happens.

It appears that Australia has a blasphemy law. Again, who knew? The problem with this law is that it holds that some imaginary men who live in the sky are more precious than others and, accordingly, more deserving of Earthly protection. The controversy of an already dumb law is that it is framed to only protect Christianity and not Islam.

Since I have a lot of time on my hands, I think I shall explore the reasoning behind this. Is the Christian God more vulnerable that the Islamic one? While it is true that Islam is 700 years younger than Christianity, and therefore, more capable of fighting back, that doesn't seem to be a sufficient explanation. As anyone who has read the Old Testament will tell you, Yaweh had a nasty way of retaliating when his Earthly servants didn't give him his props. I vaguely remember something about floods, hordes of locusts and people's wives turning to salt. Nowhere in the Koran is Allah shown to be such a vindictive prick.

Maybe the Australians feel that Allah doesn't need protection from the government because he provides a mighty incentive for his followers to stand up for him. After all, as nice as a seat in the Kingdom of God sounds, its hard to top the whole 72 virgins thing. Maybe the Australian government decided that history presents a compelling case to protect the Christian God. He did visit once before. It didn't end well. Mel Gibson, an Australian citizen, will tell you all about it. And its not like the prophet of Islam died in a mighty battle with the Infidels.....Oh, right. I forgot.

The fact that people get so friggin' defensive about an omnipotent, all-powerful, if imaginary force is yet another reason I love mankind.

10:31 AM