|
|
Tuesday, May 18, 2004
|
|
SAINTS AND SIMMONS
It would appear that the Pope John Paul II is letting his abortion fanatacism take over the better part of his judgement. As popes do from time to time,His Holiness named a bunch of new saints. I've always found the concept of sainthoot to be irrational, at best. It seems to me that if someone is an extradinarily good person that this would be self-evident to everyone. The Church does not feel that way, however. The Church, pretty much since its inception has decided that certain folks should be help up above others. Of course, who gets promoted to sainthood is largely a unilateral decision of the Pope himself.
You don't even have to be a particularly good person to be sainted. Vactin sources have said that John Paul is determined to canonize Pope Pius XII before he croaks. Pius, for those who don't know, was complicit- at a minimum -in the crimes of Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany. The very soveriegnty of the Vactican from Italy was the result of an agreement between Pius and Mussolini. Pius, as recently discovered from his diaries and personal memorandum (as detailed in the book, Hitler's Pope ) was an almost world class anti-Semite. So even pricks can get sainted.
But there is at least one very interestinting choice among the Pope's current crop of saints. Gianna Beretta Molla died in 1962 after giving birth, despite medical warnings from her doctors that she suffered from a uterine tumour and childbirth could kill her. They advised that she terminate the pregnancy. She refused, and four days after the birth, she karked it. Mrs. Molla was thirty-nine years old, which in 1962 was way old to be squeezing out puppies. That, in and of itself, often had nasty health consequences of its own.
Some could argue that Mrs. Molla was a courageous advocate of life, who died for her principles. This could well be true. Some could also argue that she willingly left her child motherless. I would argue that she passively committed suicide, which is generally accepted as not being particularly pro-life.As a matter of fact, the Church has expended great resources lobbying against laws allowing for assisted suicide for those with fatal illnesses. Apparently there's an exemption for pregnancy, something not generally accepted as lethal. My point is this, sainthood- if it is to be handed out at all- shouldn't be awarded in cases so ambiguous.
While we're on the topic of religion, I have the answer to a question I've always been curious about. What does Gene Simmons of Kiss think of the Muslim world? Now I think we know all of Simmons' opinions of the great matters of the day. For example, did you know that he loves it loud? Right between the eyes? Did you know that he wants no compromise? He is a deep thinker.
Let's explore the views of Gene Simmons of Kiss (which, I swear to Christ, is how he introduces himself. I think he has it trademarked) on Islam, shall we?
"This is a vile culture and if you think for a second that it's willing to just live in the sands of God's armpit, you've got another thing coming"
I love that a guy in Kiss is commenting on the vileness of culture, don't you? I guess he can afford to be highbrow now that there's a Kiss symphonic album. Oh, I should also note that Simmons was born Chiam Wietz. In Israel. Which as I remember it, is right next door to the "sands of God's armpit." It's kind of like the nipple.
"They want to come and live right where you live and they think that you're evil."
Don't you love it when immigrants take anti-immigrant stands? What makes the statement even funnier is that Simmons made the comment in Australia, a country where he was a guest.
"You can send your dog to school to learn tricks, sit, beg, do all that stuff -- none of the women have that advantage."
The advantage of sitting and begging? Jesus, this cat is out of touch.30 years of only experiencing women backstage will do this to you, though. But I do love the idea of, "Gene Simmons: staunch defender of the women's movement." I suppose that a guy who has bragged about taking pictures of the 4,500 women he's fucked can be passionate about these things. On the other hand, I'm every inch as ugly as he and I'd want to document all that trim, too.
What I'm fascinated most by is what prompted the Australian DJ to ask the question in the first place. If I was interviewing Gene Simmons od Kiss, I'd ask the REALLY important questions, like how come your jerk-off band's "farewell" tour in in its SIXTH year?
|
|
|
| |