|
|
Wednesday, August 25, 2004
|
|
BREAKING NEWS FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF SERENDIPITY
two weeks ago, I celebrated the one year anniversary of losing a job I was good at, and paid me pretty well for the industry, due to this stupid blog. If I ever get the motivation, I'll write the whole story out for you. You'll laugh, you'll cry, it's better than Cats.
That's not really the point of my bringing this up. As it happens, there was a major shooting incident less than three blocks away less than an hour ago.
The incident ended at Toronto's Union Station. For the unitiated, as this city was never intended to have the population that it does, driving in the downtown core is a virtual impossibility. This is further complicated by the city deciding that no one is allowed to make a left hand turn anywhere. Accordingly, anyone who commutes downtown from the suburbs, comes through Union Station. Oh, all kinds of tourists come through there, too. It's also the main rail link with the United States. It is hellaciously busy at 8AM.
But it started in the food court of the Toronto Dominion Center. The TD building is about a block and a half away from my old building. The food court is underground. Another neat little fact: One can traverse the length of the downtown core through and an underground tunnel system. The tunnel went through this food court and eventually passes through........my old building.
Once the news bulletin of guns drawn in the tunnel was received, my old building would have gone into total lockdown. This is a world class pain in the ass when you only have four people to secure a building that, on a typical day, has between seven and ten thousand people in it.
Another interesting fact, four days after I "resigned", the blackout that wiped out the East Coast and a good chunk of the Midwest hit. The resulting power failure would have taken out all but two of the 12 passenger elevators and heartily fucked with some 7,000 computers. I giggled like a moron when I learned the extent of the blackout.
Nothing like either of these incidents happened in the two and a half years that I was there. Now, there's been two in fifty four weeks. As much as a nightmare as my life is, I take comfort in the fact that bad things happen to other people's lives once I leave them.
That's not shallow, is it?
|
|
|
| |