Photobucket Enjoy Every Sandwich



Monday, August 06, 2007


STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND: MY WEEKEND AS DAVID COVERDALE

I was born and raised in a pretty big city. While Toronto isn't is imposing as London, Los Angeles or New York, it has roughly as many people as Chicago or Houston spread out over a truly massive area. I'm used to big places full of rude people.

Actually, I'm used to it almost to a fault. Being in small towns tends to make me incredibly nervous. My father was from such a place and I hated visting it, even as a child. There's something about the possibility of getting shot in the face or propositioned by a transvestite that feels like home to me, I guess. Any of you from a similiar background will know what I mean.

When I broadened my dating circle in the late 1990's, I learned a great deal about smaller places. I frequently visited my great love, the wise and lovely Judy, at her home in Fremont, California. Judy was very quick to point out to me that Fremont was geographically very large, despite a population of only 200,000.

It turns out that she was right. Fremont is pretty big. I learned that this is because Fremont is a land of very small buildings. In the years that I was there, I never saw a building more than five stories high. If I can describe Fremont as anything, it would be as a prosporous suburb that didn't surround a city. And it had lots of palm trees. Not being overly familiar with them, I always wanted my picture taken with a palm tree. Alas, I never did, mostly because I hate having my picture taken.

Though I'll likely never be in Fremont again, I'll always smile when I think of it. There isn't another place on earth that anyone has loved me as completely as I was there. I miss that more than any of you will ever know. And I'm almost certain that I'll never have that again.

A couple of years later, I started seeing a woman from a really small town in Michigan. This place was frighteningly small compared to what I was used to. If anything, it reminded me of where my dad was from - a few plants and a hotel/bar where everybody got drunk pretty much all of the time.

To put things in perspective, the town or "city" listed a population of 10, 036 in the 2000 census. Not long before I visited the town, I was involved in supervising a single building that held more people than that.

Anyhow, I went there in October of 2004. It remains one of the weirdest experiences of my life. I knew that it would creep me out, but I loved that bitch with all of my heart and a sick part of me always will.

At the time, I was working in loss prevention - shorthand for arresting shoplifters. The day I went to Michigan, I started work at 10 in the morning and finished at 9 at night. I probably crossed 40 miles of the city during the course of my working day, which wasn't unusual. My last stop of the day was about 15 miles from my place, to which I returned to shower, shave and pack a bag. Then I took the subway about 20 miles to the Greyhound station downtown, which I arived at at midnight for a 1am departure.

Forgetting that I'm 15 feet tall, I stupidly thought that I could fall asleep on the bus. I even took a nappy-nap pill to ensure that I could. No dice. Seated next to me was a Universirty of Western Ontario student who wouldn't shut up. Worse than that, she was too hot to ignore. Worse still, she wouldn't shut up about her boyfriend. I'm lucky like that.

By the time she got off in London, it wasn't even worth going to sleep, knowing that I'd have to go through U.S Customs in a couple of hours.

I arrived in the United States at six in the morning, cleared Customs at 7 and arrived at the city nearest to my girlfriend at 8. Because she had to take her daughter to school, I was stuck, smoking in the rain, until about 9:15, when I was met by the best kiss of my life. Then we entertained her three-year-old son for for five or six hours before things got weird.

My time with my girlfriend's son was one of the happiest times of my life. Honest to God, I really thought I could have been that boy's dad at that moment. Actually, I still could. Her daughter, on the other hand was still attached to her daddy and therefore was problematic. My girlfriend's daughter was still very attached to her daddy, and her daddy wanted to both kill me and suck my cock.

Wanting her boyfriend to be neither murdered, nor sucked off by her felonious ex-husband, it was decided that I would be secreted at the local hotel/bar as she dropped off her kids. At that point, I had been awake for 43 hours.

As we pulled up to the bar, I did what pretty much anyone would do when leaving someone they love, I tried to kiss her. Not only was I told, "Don't kiss me," I was also told "Don't tell anyone in there that you know me."

"I'll be back in half an hour. I just have to drop the kids off. I love you."

"I love you, too." And then I got out of the car and faced the weirdest situation ever.

When I walked into that bar, I walked into .... 1987. Everywhere around me, I was surrounded by lepoard-print tops, acid washed jeans and giant hair.

I was trapped in a Whitesnake video.



The bartender even looked kind of like an early middle-aged, washed out, post -O.J, Tawny Kitaen. If I wasn't in love with someone else, semi-concious and terrified of everything, I probably would have have fucked her. I know what you're thinking - I can't help it if I'm lucky.

Remember how my girlfriend was supposed to pick me up in a half hour? That became an hour. Then two. Then three. And I'm drinking combinations of beer, Johhny Walker Black, coffee and Red Bull. Remember, I had been up the better part of two days at this point, and was terrified that I was trapped in the middle of nowhere. Trapped, half-drunk, half-asleep and buzzing from way too much caffeine.

It was probably the most horrifying thing I've ever been through.

I was in a bar and therefore had to order drinks. It didn't take long for the locals to realize that I wasn't possesed of the regional accent. Not only did I not have the regional accent, I was in a town where everybody knew one another. The entire fucking town was like the set of "Cheers." And these people didn't know me.

Some guy who looked sort of like a blonde Neil Young sat down next to me at the bar and decided that a round of "Let's Learn About the Stranger" was in order.

Remember, I'm specifically not allowed to mention my girlfriend's name, lest her ex-husband find out that I'm there and beat the shit out of, and/or fellate me. There I was, stuck in a Whitesnake video in the middle of small town America, and here I am, genetically incapable of being more Canadian. Furthermore, this town is too small to have anything that most civilized societies have, like buses, taxis or even a fucking limo company. I was trapped like a rat until my girlfriend decided to pick me up. And here I was, about to be interrogated by the locals.

"Hey," says local Neil Young.

"Hey," says I. For some odd reason, local Neil Young and I never exchange names. We're off to a winning start. I could fucking die in this bar and no one would ever know who I was, except "that guy with the funny hat who isn't from these parts."

"I've never seen you here before."

"No, I'm from out of town."

"Where are you from?"

"Toronto."

"Canada? I have friends who have been there. They say it's nice. What brings you here?"

I had been dreading that fucking question all day. I had been sitting there, too polite to be an American, sitting at a bar with a cup of coffee, a glass of Heinekin and a can of Red Bull in front of me, looking like the last person on earth who belonged in this place. I was stuck in 1987, with no way out and being forced to explain my futuristic ways.

Luckily, it was about three weeks before the presidential election. Michigan - and this county, in particular - were considered "swing" and therefore very important. That was my out. God, I'm fucking clever.

"I'm a writer. I'm here covering the election" I said. Strictly speaking, that was technically true. I was writing about the election. I just neglected to say that I was doing so here, on my dopey goddamn blog.

Thankfully, that seemed to satisfy him. Full as I was of booze, codeine, caffeine, exhaustion and fear, I might well have broken under any further pressure. Then I would face the prospect of getting murdered and/or sucked off by a still-closeted whackjob with interesting political ideas. After three hours in this place, the prospect of that started looking better and better.

Small town Neil Young decided that he knew everything that he had to. It was now time to discuss something he was more comfortable about, himself. He whined incessantly about how his wife disapproved of his golfing. I tried to supress my shock that the locals had even discovered golf. Were I forced to guess, I would have thought the passed the weekends with recreational lynching. But there were no minorities in this place, so they would have been forced to hang Methodists, or something.

As uncomfortable as I was, I told my new drinking buddy what I would tell any friend, that he had little choice but to drown his wife. It was sad to say, but it appeared that there were no other options left to him.

Before my new friend could take a swing at me, I felt a pair of arms wrapping around me from behind. The titanic knockers pressing into my back told me that my girlfriend had come to pick me up. I was curious as to why I couldn't mention her name for lo, those many hours, only to have her bullet hard nipples leave permanent impints in my back for all to see, but I had had enough trauma for one day.

The rest of the weekend was much better than that sad Friday.

Easy Listening Recomendation of the Day: All About You By: The Rolling Stones From: Emotional Rescue

Permalink

Labels: ,

12:35 AM