Photobucket Enjoy Every Sandwich



Monday, August 27, 2007


ALL THINGS MUST PASS

I just learned that my good friend Joan is shutting down the incomprable Seven Inches of Sense. I can't tell you how much poorer the blogosphere will be without her and I continue to hope that she changes her mind. I'm told that women do that sometimes.

I discovered Seven Inches of Sense three years ago through two other sadly defunct blogs, Primal Purge and A Small Victory. As soon as I started reading her work, I was immediately impressed and deeply touched. There is absolutely nothing that that girl can't do.

One of the very first essays of Joan's that I read was an account of her convertable being flooded in a rainstorm. I can't tell you how, but she could turn a pretty mundane event like into compelling reading. After reading that post, I realized that Joan isn't just another blogger - or even a great one - she's a great writer. I can count on one hand the number of bloggers out there who have a book that anyone would want to read in them. The late, great Rob Smith was one, Velociman is another. Joan is the third. Those three people aren't just bloggers, they're artists.

Joan could reveal some of the most horrid details of her life or she could write a lighthearted peice about wanting to fuck the guy who stocked the Pepsi machine at her office and they were both equally compelling. I've always envied that in her. Joan never has an off day when she writes. If you randomly poke through her archives, four times out of five, you'll find something that isn't just good, but great.

Over the last few years, Joan has been more than just a supporter of my shitty writing and my dopey blog, she's become an incredibly good friend. If everyone had a friend as supportive, patient and loyal as Joan is, the world would be a much better place. Even more than being a brilliant artist, she's a great girl.

I owe Joan a lot. Besides giving me something to aspire to, she was always just a phone call away. Whenever I needed someone - which has been a few times in the last year - she's been there for me. Knowing her has made the most brutal year of my life just a little bit easier and I'll always be grateful to her for that.

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention that Joan is hauntingly beautiful and possessed of the sexiest voice I've ever heard. Looks, brains and an incredible talent. It dosen't get much better than that.

I know what her motivation behind abandoning Seven Inches of Sense is, and I know that she would have to do it sooner or later. I also know that she's going to set the world on fire someday. I've said this before both privately and publicly, Joan is one of the Great Ones.

I hope that she reconsiders this, at least for a time. Is that selfish? Sure it is. I love reading her work and I'll miss doing that a few times a week.

If however her decision is final, I'd like to just say one thing to her. Shane, Mark and G would all be proud of the writer you are and the woman you've become. I know I am. I'm proud of you, proud of your faith in me and I'm proud that you're my friend.

And I know that you'll make me prouder still.

Easy Listening Recommendation of the Day: The Cape By: Guy Clark From: Dublin Blues

Permalink

Labels: ,

1:48 AM